Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Opinions of NYC’s Chinese Embassy

Eric Scaturro- Getting my visa at the Chinese Embassy was a nightmare. I went by myself and took the train into Manhattan at around 7 am. I thought I was going to be one of the first people in the embassy, but still waited nearly two hours just to order my visa. That was nothing compared to picking it up though. I was on line for over two hours to pick it up. I had to wait for about four hours with nothing to do until it'd be ready. It was hot, crowded, and really unpleasant. When I got to the front of the line I was told it wasn't ready yet and had to wait another thirty minutes. They told me to go back to the end of the line, but I just waited until the computer told me it was ready and then just went to the front because I couldn't take it anymore. People were mad but the people working didn't care.

Jenny Zou- I had some unexpected difficulty my first time at the embassy. Because of my Chinese heritage the lady working at the ticket booth assumed I spoke Mandarin and became annoyed when I asked her if she could speak in English. I left the embassy that day empty handed. I went back to the embassy the next week and ended up at the same window, but this time I got my visa.

Jason Van Hoven- I've visited many places on Manhattan's west side, but the Chinese embassy never piqued my interest. Why even bother? I wouldn't leave the country anytime soon. New York is my only home. And in a way, it is still foreign to me because I've never explored places in my home state, especially those in New York City.

But, once I was given the opportunity to travel to China for part of the summer, I immediately became interested. Though it wasn't formally included in the itinerary, the Chinese embassy was the first part of the tour abroad. I expected nothing less than to be a foreigner inside of a native building--or rather a native inside of a foreign building.

Once I walked into the building to retrieve a visa, I became flabbergasted. I was witnessing a microcosm of what I'd see in due time. People of Asian descent were eagerly waiting in line to travel to their place of origin. But, I, along with a few other Americans, were as eager, if not more, just being inside of a cultural conduit like the embassy. The place was uncanny to me. It was here in New York, a train ride away, but never uncovered until I was given an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. So, as I sat, waited, and finally received my visa, I knew I was going to make the most of my time away from the States. That visa was my ticket to an unforgettable journey.


Lauren Cioffi- The lines were so long and it was so hot. It was giving me a taste of what China was really like- hot and overpopulated.

When I was picking up my visa, a man on a telephone grabbed me, put the phone up to my ear, while speaking broken Chinese.

His wife was on the phone trying to help him fill out papers to apply for a visa and he needed my help filling it out.

I just remember thinking- if this guy has a hard time speaking English in America; I better have translators in China!


Christine Vargas- My experience at the Chinese Embassy was terrifying. I decided not to do same day visa since I live in the city. I went in and was surprised when I had to go through a security check. Once inside I was amazed with the Chinese signs. I finally got to the teller and dropped off my documents. I stood there thinking there was more to be done until the teller made a hand gesture for me to leave. She did not say a word.

The next time I picked it up the place was over-crowded. I stood online for over an hour. A couple of Chinese people tired to skip me and when I spoke to them in English requesting my spot back I received a blank look. When I finally got to the teller my card was not working. I had to run out to an ATM. The building was closing and she said I might not be able to get back. I spoke to the guards and they were kind enough to let me back in. With sweat pouring down my back, I thought off to China I go.

No comments: